I call this a lazy-day soup. Make it on a rainy day at home when your most exciting task is laundry. It will make you feel all warm and nostalgic, I promise.
Or, if you want to eat this on a weekday, throw it in the crock pot and add the barley when you get home.
Beef Barley Soup
- 2 pounds stew meat ((nicely marbled beef chunks))
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 cups water
- 3 mounded tablespoons good quality beef base*
- 3 stalks celery ((about 2 cups), chopped)
- 2 onions (, chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (, minced)
- 1 large potato (, peeled and shredded, about 2 cups)
- 3-4 large carrots (, peeled and shredded, about 2 cups)
- 1 cup barley (, rinsed)
- Click on Link Below