Various types of books written by British authors. This article highlights some of the best names in the British books, which should be read at least once in life.
List of 10 British Books
This list is being created according to a report in Business Insider.
1. White Teeth by Zadie Smith
- Publisher: Hamish Hamilton
- Publication date: 27 January 2000
- Media type: Print (Hardcover)
- Pages: 480 pp
The book won multiple honors, including the 2000 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction, the 2000 Whitbread Book Award in category best first novel, the Guardian First Book Award, the Commonwealth Writers First Book Prize. (wikipedia)
2. Netherland by Joseph O’Neill
- Publisher: Harper Perennial
- Publication date: 20 May 2008
- Media type: Print
- Pages: 340 pp
Netherland is a novel. It concerns the life of a Dutchman living in New York in the wake of the 9/11 attacks who takes up cricket and starts playing at the Staten Island Cricket Club.
Netherland won the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction, and the 2009 Kerry Group Irish Fiction Award.
3. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
- Language: English
- Publisher: John Murray
- Publication date: December 1817
- Media type: Print
The novel is a satire of the Gothic novels popular at the time of its first writing in 1798–99. The heroine, Catherine, thinks life is like a Gothic novel, but her real experiences bring her down to earth as an ordinary young woman.
4. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Genre: Historical novel
- Publisher: Faber and Faber
- Publication date: May 1989
- Media type: Print (hardback)
- Pages: 245 pp
The story is told from a first person point of view. The narrator, Stevens, a butler, recalls his life in the form of a diary while the action progresses through the present. Much of the novel is concerned with Stevens’ professional and, above all, personal relationship with a former colleague, the housekeeper Miss Kenton. (wikipedia)
The work was awarded the Man Booker Prize for Fiction in 1989.