This hearty, healthy soup is full of flavor from the Parmesan rind that you add while cooking. Plus, eating kale makes you feel like a Super Human. Kale, chicken & white bean soup with parmesan is just AMAZING!
It’s easy to throw together. Not too much chopping, especially if you already have the chicken ready to go. I used a rotisserie, which was an excellent choice.
Kale, Chicken & White Bean Soup with Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 35-ounce great northern beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- One rind of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6 cups kale, chopped into pieces
- Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
Instructions for White Bean Soup
In a very large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and carrots and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the onions are soft but not brown.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, white beans, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil.
Add the 8 cups of chicken broth, the 2 cups of chicken, and the Parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20-30 minutes. Add the kale, one cup at a time, until you get to a ratio you like.
Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve with thin slices of Parmesan cheese.
1. Don’t skip the Parmesan rind. It’s a game-changer.
2. The thing that really sets this soup apart is the Parmesan. It calls for a rind of Parmesan in the soup, which is my new favorite trick for adding a crazy amount of flavor.
3. Even if you don’t have a rind, just throw in the part of the cheese that looks like the photo above. Skimp on this if you are really watching your calories, but please, don’t skip it.