Use leftover ham to make split pea soup prep even easier. You’ll turn to this split pea soup with ham all winter long — especially when you need to warm up!
Best Split Pea Soup
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups (a 1 lb. bag) of dry split peas
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoons onion powder ((optional))
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large russet potato (, chopped into cubes)
- Salt and Pepper to your taste.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot
- Add onions, carrots, & ham bone
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the potato.
- Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for approximately 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes about 30 minutes before time to eat
- It’s as simple as that