I love chicken enchiladas and this casserole is even easier to make than making regular chicken enchiladas because you just layer your ingredients. Even a kid could make it. I am on a low carb eating program and so I didn’t add the corn shells, and I added sliced black olives to the top of the casserole.
EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- Cut each chicken breast in about 3 pieces, so that it cooks faster and put it in a small pot.
- Pour Enchilada sauce over it and cook covered on low to medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- No water is needed, the chicken will cook in the Enchilada sauce.
- Make sure you stir occasionally so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Start layering the casserole.
- Start with about ¼ cup of the leftover Enchilada sauce over the bottom of a baking dish.
- You can use a longer baking dish, so that you can put 2 corn tortillas across.
- Place 2 tortillas on the bottom, top with ⅓ of the chicken and ⅓ of the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the cheese and repeat starting with 2 more tortillas, then chicken, sauce, cheese.
- Repeat with last layer with the remaining ingredients, tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered, until bubbly and cheese has melted and started to brown on top.
- Serve warm.