I have been dying to do a chicken and dumpling dish for a while. Could there be a better time than winter for a true comfort dish?
Easy Chicken Stew with Dumplings Recipe
Easy Chicken Stew with Dumplings Recipe Summary
Easy Chicken Stew with Dumplings Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp, 57g) butter
- 1/2 cup (57g) All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups (680g) chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups (454g to 510g) diced cooked chicken
- 320g-340g frozen mixed vegetables
Easy Chicken Stew with Dumplings Recipe Instructions
To make the stew
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth 1/2 cup at a time, whisking it into the flour and butter to prevent lumps. When all the broth has been added, add the thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, then stir in the chicken and vegetables. Keep the mixture at a low simmer while you make the dumplings.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
To make the dumplings
- Place the self-rising flour in a bowl. Whisk in the chives or parsley.
- Place the baking mix in a bowl. Whisk in the chives or parsley.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and egg, and add all at once to the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter.
- Stir until evenly moistened.
- Scoop the dumpling batter onto the simmering filling, using a muffin scoop or 1/4-cup measure.
- Leave some space between the dumplings; they’ll almost double in size as they cook.
- Put the lid on the pan, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve hot.
Tips from the Author
The dumplings can be used to top any stew or chili you like. Stir 1/2 cup water or broth into the stew before adding the dumplings and baking.