Step aside, zucchini noodles. There is a new fan favorite in my house for the best way to put the summer zucchini surplus to use, and it comes in the form of zucchini fritters. Best of all, you only need five ingredients and 25 minutes to go from everyday veggie to all-star appetizer, side dish or snack.
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs (, lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions ((green and white parts))
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream (, for serving (optional))
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle the zucchini lightly with salt.
- Allow the zucchini to stand for 10 minutes.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl.
- Add the flour, eggs, sliced scallions, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to the bowl, stirring until the mixture is combined.
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- Liberally coat the bottom of a large sauté pan with vegetable oil and place it over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, scoop 3-tablespoon mounds of the zucchini mixture into the pan, pressing them lightly into rounds and spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Cook the zucchini fritters for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip them once and cook an additional 2 minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Transfer the zucchini fritters to the paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle them with salt.
- Repeat the scooping and cooking process with the remaining zucchini mixture.
- Serve the zucchini fritters topped with sour cream (optional) and sliced scallions.
- Original Source: Kelly Senyei